I am studying already in a Schengen State and I will continue my studies at a German university. Do I need to apply for a visa?

In case you are a third-country national and you have already a student residence permit from a Schengen State (e.g. Spain, France, Italy...), it is possible for you to come into Germany without having to apply for a German residence permit or visa if:

  • You are coming to Germany also for study purposes.
  • You are going to stay for less than 360 days in Germany.

In this situation, your German university may still require you to open a blocked account, as they need to prove to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge) that you have the sufficient proof of financial means (and insurance coverage) for your stay in Germany.

After this, BAMF normally provides either you or your university a declaratory confirmation that you are entitled to stay in Germany. Should you get this document, or if the university forwards it to you, you can use it to upload it in your Fintiba account instead of a picture of your visa or residence permit.

☝ This possibility is only available for those nationals from third countries fulfilling the above-mentioned criteria and also whose current study residence permit from the other Schengen State is valid for the entire duration of their stay in Germany. Should you not fulfil at least one of the criteria mentioned, we kindly suggest that you double-check with your university and the local German Foreigner's Office, whether you really need to apply for a residence permit or visa to come into Germany or not.

Was this article helpful?
16 out of 25 found this helpful